Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Dress up for work 101

There's such disparity between work and play at my agency. Work meaning, we work really hard and play meaning, we get to dress really casually & on occassion, we "do do" (Friends, anyone?) fun stuff. For ex, our Clients think we're on an "agency retreat" this Thursday but really, we're going to the beach.

You probably spend most of your time at work so naturally you want to feel good in what you wear. When you get home, it's all about you, your dog/significant other (for me, it's my dog), dinner, a book, or what's on TV - all in your PJs or comfy clothes. So, when else do you have to display your fashionable self? =)

It's all pyschological but when you feel good about yourself, your confidence will carry through. When I worked in corporate, there was always a few essentials I relied on . Here are some basics.
You definitely need black trousers that fit you to the T.
Criteria:
* Hug your hips
* Form nicely to your assets
* Fall straight down
* Length should cover your feet slightly but not brush the floor.

[Pictured left: Theory Holz Tailor Pant - $230]
[Below: Alvin Valley Veronica Pant - $253]



My cousin introduced me to Alvin Valley. I don't own a pair but she swears by them! I've seen them in person and I can tell by the cut that they fit really well.

I wish I could post about a fitted dress shirt but I honestly never found one that flattered me. So instead, I'm deferring to fitted turtlenecks and cardigans. As you can probably tell by now, I like a look that's simple, clean, and sophisticated. I always try to put together a few basic pieces in different ways so I can have mutiple outfits - therefore, also saving you a buck or two.

In the winter, I like slipping on a pair of sheer black tights (remember, I'm from Boston and it gets cold in the winter). Then, I throw on a pair of kneehigh boots and voila!

For the daring, I would suggest a long-sleeve dress (or wrap-dress - see my posting about "black"). Or, a bold colored knit T dressed up with a belt.


In the summer, I'd be adventurous with a printed skirt and a collered short sleeve shirt or silk blouse. Basically, unless you absolutely have to wear a suit to work, you won't be breaking any rules if you follow these few simple rules: No skirts above the knee. No cleavage bearing tops. No spaghetti straps. Typically, no open-toed shoes. Wear stockings (yes, I know). Bring a cardigan if going sleeveless (tie around your shoulders/waist for a country club look).

Last tip, accessorize! - with hair clips (hair tied in a knot is sexy), necklaces, belts, bracelets, and scarves.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

it always finding the basics that are difficult (go figure)- finding the perfect fitted button down and the perfect fitted black pants.

however, i was browsing through a vickie's secrets catalog and found this button down, body suit! how genius of them! i thought i try it out and it's legit. the arms may be a bit long, but i always like to roll up my sleeves anyway (i'm a girl too) but the thing is, you dont have to constantly shove your hand down to stuff back in your shirt, which i loved.

5:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's funny that a previous poster mentioned this. I was going to say the same thing. Where alot of the time it is hard to find a nice form fitting suit or button down blouse, Victoria's Secret actually has both. Here's a link to the blouse http://www2.victoriassecret.com/commerce/application/prodDisplay/?namespace=productDisplay&origin=onlineProductDisplay.jsp&event=display&prnbr=XB-165085&page=1&cgname=OSCLOBLOVIL&rfnbr=3116

It can be a challenge to balance dressing fashionably to work while staying conservative so as not to cross any lines. Your choices described in this blog do both.

6:26 AM  
Blogger styleminded said...

I would have never thought to check out Vickie's. Thanks! I'll be sure to let you know how it works out.

5:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your confidence will carry through if you feel good about yourself.. and feeling good about yourself definitely derives from what your wear day to day at work. I couldn't agree more with you on that. I don't think fitted pants are that hard to find, however, it's fitted shirts that i've got a problem with. i can never find one that will perfectly flatter my figure.

6:16 AM  
Blogger CaliforniaStyle said...

Alvin Valley has by far the best pants!

10:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web styleminded.blogspot.com